In its annual hurricane guide, the South Carolina Emergency Management Division urges residents to assemble necessities well before a tropical cyclone approaches the Palmetto State.
The agency’s basic checklist includes:
- South Carolina Hurricane Guide
- Flashlights with extra batteries
- Portable radio with extra batteries
- Extra charger for mobile devices
- NOAA Weather Radio
- At least three days of nonperishable food
- Two gallons of bottled water per person, per day
- A first-aid kit along with any prescription medications needed
- Bedding and clothing for each family member
- Blankets and towels
- Plastic dishes and eating utensils
- Rain jackets and pants
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and mosquito repellent
- Baby supplies like food, diapers and medication
- Pet supplies like food, a leash and carrier, and vaccination records
- Sanitary supplies
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Soap, shampoo and personal hygiene items
- Copies of important documents
- Driver’s license, Social Security card, proof of residence, insurance policies, wills, deeds, birth and marriage certificates, tax records, medical records, family pictures, etc.
- Enough cash to pay for a full tank of gas
In addition to these basic supplies, the S.C. Hurricane Guide recommends keeping such items as road maps, jumper cables and a tire repair kit in your vehicle.
Authorities also recommend that residents keep their vehicles in good repair and make sure they are fully fueled before evacuating.