North Charleston firefighters say a smoke alarm helped save a woman and her baby from a fire Monday.

The fire started in the kitchen at a house on the 1500 block of Greenbay Street.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire that damaged the stove and cabinets. The woman heard the alarm and safely escaped the home with her infant, according to Bianca Sancic, public information officer for the North Charleston fire department.

Sancic said the fire department installed the alarm in the house in April 2007 as part of its Get Alarmed program. The program is credited with saving 23 lives in nine fires since it started in 2006, Sancic said.