LOS ANGELES -- Jurors in the upcoming trial of Michael Jackson's doctor won't see a recording of a press conference by the singer promoting his final concerts, a judge ruled Monday.
Defense attorneys for Dr. Conrad Murray had wanted to show the footage, claiming it showed Jackson wasn't healthy and had only committed to 10 shows. By the time of his death, the singer had been committed to 50 shows at London's O2 arena.
Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor ruled the March 2009 press conference wasn't relevant to the involuntary manslaughter case against Murray, which will focus on the pop superstar's final weeks and hours.
Defense attorney Nareg Gourjian said that according to promoters of the shows, Jackson's press conference was delayed 90 minutes because the singer was passed out and appeared to be "hung over." "We believe that it's readily apparent from watching the video that Mr. Jackson was under the influence," Gourjian said.
Pastor said showing the footage would be prejudicial and the defense's request included speculation that should not be shown to jurors.
The judge also blocked prosecutors from mentioning efforts by investigators to speak to Murray after his initial interview with police days after Jackson's June 2009 death. The rulings were some of the final bits of housekeeping before opening statements, set for today.