U.S. Portrait Gallery features Earhart’s life
WASHINGTON — The National Portrait Gallery in Washington is exploring the life of aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart from her flying to her advocacy for women’s rights.
In a new exhibit, Earhart’s biography is told through photographs, paintings and drawings, and objects including her pilot’s license and leather flying helmet. “One Life: Amelia Earhart” is on view through May 2013.
Earhart was a crew member on her first trans-Atlantic flight and quickly became a star, overshadowing the pilots. She would become a columnist for Cosmopolitan magazine and gave speeches. In 1932, she became the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic.
Earhart founded an organization for women pilots called The Nighty-Nines and was a faculty member at Purdue University.
The exhibit coincides with the 75th anniversary of her disappearance.
Jackie Kennedy exhibit opens at museum
HYANNIS, Mass. — A special summer exhibit on Jackie Kennedy’s life on Cape Cod has opened at the John F. Kennedy Hyannis Museum.
The exhibit includes photos, handwritten letters and other artifacts from her time on the Cape. The curator said the exhibit captures Kennedy enjoying carefree days with her family, a different glimpse of a woman who was an international sensation.
It includes a 1953 Life magazine pictorial depicting time she spent on the Cape with John F. Kennedy when they were engaged.
Other images chronicle Jackie Kennedy’s life on the Cape during her husband’s presidency, when the couple and their children would frequent Hyannis Port.
The exhibit also includes a display about Jackie Kennedy’s 1962 India visit while she was first lady.
Va. historic area unveils new mobile application
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. — Colonial Williamsburg is unveiling a new mobile application to help tourists experience the 18th-century historic area.
Officials say the new, recently launched “Colonial Williamsburg Explorer” application helps vacation planners better understand what the area offers and makes booking a trip easier.
The free app is for iPhone, iPad and Android includes an interactive guide to the Colonial Williamsburg Resort and The Revolutionary City. Guests can find historic sites, historic trades, museums, tickets and information, dining, hotels, shopping, recreation, refreshments, restrooms, bus stops and parking lots.
Susquehanna River on historic water trail
ALBANY, N.Y. — The Susquehanna River is one of four water trails designated as new components of the Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail.
State Environmental Commissioner Joe Martens says the designation enables the National Park Service to provide financial and technical assistance to state and local agencies for interpretive markers, public facilities and promotion of tourism.
The Captain John Smith National Historic Trail allows visitors to relive Smith’s exploration of the Chesapeake Bay from 1607-09. Four rivers in five states were included in the trail because of their significance to 17th-century American Indian culture and trade routes.
The other rivers are the Chester, Upper Nanticoke and Upper James.
‘Billy’ tombstone repaired after break-in
FORT SUMNER, N.M. — The tombstone of Billy the Kid has been repaired.
Officials at the old Fort Sumner Museum say the famous outlaw’s 2,000-pound tombstone was restored recently after vandals tipped it over and damaged it last month.
De Baca County authorities say other graves in the cemetery also were vandalized and thieves broke into the old Fort Sumner Museum. Three antique rifles and a shotgun were stolen from the museum.
Museum officials say an air-conditioning unit has been fixed and the exhibits are open to the public.
No arrests have been made.