Patricia Altschul's favorite quote reflects the central role pets have played in the cast of her vivacious life.
“Seeds wait to germinate until three needs are met: water, correct temperature (warmth), and a good location (such as in soil). During its early stages of growth, the seedling relies upon the food supplies stored with it in the seed until it is large enough for its own leaves to begin making…
Long before Charleston became a mecca for hotels and rapid growth, our city was burning bright with art. Local artists have long been the heartbeat of the Lowcountry, pumping blood into our collective conscious through world-class performances.
Before winding up as a blogger and opening a local shop (Cannonborough Collective), I spent some time as an interior decorator in the Charleston area. Most people I coached were all about celebrating the coastal charm around them, but some got a little lost amongst a plethora of anchors and …
The Holy City's pull for lovers of food, history and travel is no secret. But visitors strolling the stone streets of downtown or sauntering under the oaks at plantation might not realize Charleston's pull as a wedding destination unless they pass by a gaggle of ladies clad in blush and a be…
When it comes to night life in Charleston I tend to feel that each location available to you in the city can vary extremely, which makes each experience unique and each night different from the last.
When my husband, Asher, and I decided that we wanted to move to a new city from Alexandria, Virginia, there was no question where we would end up.
On land or sea, Charlestonians love their vehicles. In addition to a car or tow per household, you're also likely to find a boat parked beside the garage or a motorcycle in the driveway.
Right out of school, I was trying to figure out my career path while working as a waitress in Atlanta. I realized that many of my colleagues weren’t wondering, they were simply doing what they loved: providing exceptional service, creating mouthwatering artful food, foraging, working as a te…
I don’t relish nightlife over the causeway, because I like to fall asleep early to the sounds of the ocean that float through the windows of my home on Sullivan’s Island. To say my home on Sullivan’s Island is my most favorite thing in the world. You see, after 40 some odd years of roaming t…
I am a “come ya” from the Midwest, drawn to the Lowcountry by the abundant and rich outdoors of coastal South Carolina.
Something I’ve always been passionate about is getting people out on the water — whether for fishing or just cruising.
Most Popular on Charleston Scene
- Lyle Lovett and Robert Earl Keen to play intimate acoustic concert in Charleston
- This is how much South Carolina loves Darius Rucker, according to Amazon Music data
- Where are you likely to see a celebrity in Charleston? Let's look at the record
- 10 of the best local concerts in Charleston this month
- Charleston-filmed Stephen King series 'Mr.Mercedes' releases Season 2 trailer
- 5 fantastic ways to spend your weekend in Charleston, from Elvis to 'Jaws'
- Students at 6 schools in SC will get to leave early thanks to Beyonce
- Cory's Grilled Cheese, home to hardcore bands and family lunches, shuts its doors
- Exclusive song premiere: Mel Washington's new country song 'Whiskey River'
- Charleston rock camp isn't about the music but finding a voice in society, politics