Maybe the best way to highlight a Dunes West home that went on the market last month is to describe the sunroom.
Rather than the common extension of a living room with a few windows overlooking the backyard, this expanse showcases a towering ceiling, ornamental fans, fireplace, wet bar, space for numerous pieces of furniture and double-doors to the outside.
The space is so large that listing agent Margaret Hekker, Fine Homes International Specialist with Prudential Carolina Sun Real Estate, has taken to calling it a great room.
“This room is just spectacular,” she says.
The 4,050-square-foot house is on 2.14 acres at 1840 Cherokee Rose Circle. It is priced at $799,000. “We are really aggressively selling to buyers,” Hekker says. The owner spent $300,000 on upgrades.
Among the highlights to the five-bedroom house, which includes a four-fountain pool and cabana:
• Adding the “great room” with vaulted ceilings, two sets of French doors, 11 windows, tile flooring, custom bar cabinets and wine cooler.
• Installing granite countertops, counter lighting and a custom pantry in the kitchen. There’s also a new breakfast bar and storage area.
• Designing cherry cabinets, upgrading sinks and adding granite countertops in bathrooms, while fitting a foldup Murphy bed in the upstairs crafts room.
• Constructing a second, two-bay garage to complement an attached two-car garage, installing new air conditioning-heat pumps and gas water heater and setting an in-ground propane tank for the gas cooktop and fireplace.
• Crafting an outdoor kitchen on the back deck complete with gas grill, sink, refrigerator and flat-screen television that can be raised or lowered at a flick of a switch.
• Resodding the lawn with Zeon Zoysia grass, digging a well for irrigation, installing French drains in front and extensively landscaping the property.
• Designing a pool house with shower, outdoor fireplace and speakers wired to the indoor audio system, while upgrading the pool with electronic cover, salt system and cleaner.
“Even with the pool there’s excellent patio space,” Hekker says.
Inside, the home has special features in most every room. The first floor master suite sports an extra-high tray ceiling in the bedroom and whirlpool bath and separate shower in the bathroom. The builder and remodeler took care with details such as a beveled glass mirror and custom, wooden rope trim in the master bathroom. Two more bedrooms, connected by a Jack and Jill bathroom, are on the east wing of the home. Also downstairs is a family room off the kitchen marked by a fireplace and big screen TV.
At the top of the stairs to the second floor is a cozy loft with bookshelves. A hallway directs people to two large bedrooms and crafts room, which could be converted to another bedroom. One of the upstairs sleeping areas has a corner nook for a desk.
Also on the second floor is a “beverage center” that includes a tile counter and high-end cabinets.
The new detached garage, meanwhile, has a high ceiling, offering enough space for a mother-in-law suite, Hekker says.
She says the house is an attractive choice “for people who like to entertain.” After all, the current owners “entertain a lot,” and built the house accordingly, she says.
The property is two right turns from the Dunes West Boulevard gated entrance. From U.S. Highway North (Johnnie Dodds Boulevard), travel north through Mount Pleasant to S.C Highway 41. Turn left on Highway 41 and proceed about four miles. Take a right at the traffic light on Dunes West Boulevard. Go about a mile and make a left at the gate onto Wando Plantation Way. Take the first right on Cotton Field Drive, then turn right on Cherokee Rose. Less than a mile ahead on the left is 1840 Cherokee Rose Circle.
Agent: Margaret Hekker
Office: Prudential Carolina Sun Real Estate
Philosophy: “Providing exceptional service to my clients each and every day!”