By JIM PARKER
The Post and Courier
For a temporary spot, Johnson Hagood Stadium at The Citadel has generated a lot of staying power.
The stadium’s heated concourse will host the Charleston Home + Design Show on Friday through Sunday, marking its third year for the January event.
Before then, the popular show was ensconced at the Gaillard Auditorium downtown. Plans calls for the expo to return to the George Street locale once the new Gaillard Center opens.
Local publisher New Home Charleston sponsors the show, a mix of interior design offerings, landscaping displays and home-building highlights profiling dozens of local vendors.
This year’s effort expects to be a grand showing.
“Now in its 12th year, the Charleston Home + Design Show promises to be the biggest and best yet,” organizers say.
The show sets up in what’s typically the concession area and adjacent places underneath the stands at Johnson Hagood Stadium, located at 68 Hagood Ave. in Charleston.
The 2015 edition is comprised of time-honored events — such as an architect symposium and show goers meeting face-to-face with high-profile interior designers — and new or repositioned displays such as random drawings for a half-dozen home improvement packages and construction of a few-hundred-square-foot house by local energy-efficient builder Amerisips Homes.
Dozens of vendors take part in the show, presenting “thousands of custom home products under one roof,” Home + Design marketers note.
According to the show backers, spotlight events include:
- Free half-hour “design consultations” with Charleston area interior designers who belong to the prestigious American Society of Interior Designers. Participants are advised to bring house plans, fabric and paint swatches and photos of their projects.
- A “tiny home” built for the Home + Design show by Amerisips Homes. According to organizers, the house is inspired by TV’s Tiny House Nation and features energy-saving building techniques used in Amerisips’ traditional-size homes.
- Grand prize drawing that features six $2,000 home-improvement prize packages. Show goers can register on site to win one of the giveaways. The prizes, each valued at $2,000, consist of an eight-piece cookware package from Kitchen Craft; shopping spree at Danco Modern Furniture; bed swing built by Salt Wood Co. with Aiden Fabrics upholstery; landscape master plan from REMARK Landscape Architects; custom walk-in closet makeover from Tailored Closets; and natural-stone countertop package from MVP Granite and Flooring.
- Charleston Architect Symposium for all practicing architects, to include free lunch and the opportunity to earn three American Institute of Architects continuing education credits.
- Home Show “happy hour” 5-8 p.m. on Friday featuring beer, wine and free hors d’oeuvres.
- Free admission and extended hours Friday. Parking is free surrounding the stadium each day of the show.
Hours for the Charleston Home + Design Show are 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m.-5 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is no charge on Friday and $7 a person on Saturday and Sunday. Children aged 13 and under get in free.
Supporters say to look for a $1 off coupon in The Post and Courier the week before the show.
New Home Charleston publishes Charleston Home + Design magazine, which comes out four times a year; and organizes the Charleston Home + Design Show, Charleston Home + Design Show on Daniel Island in April and the Custom Home + Remodel in August.
For more information, visit www.charlestonhomeanddesignshow.com.
Reach Jim Parker at 937-5542 or email@example.com.
Advanced Kitchen Designs of Charleston — West Ashley
Aiden Fabrics — Mount Pleasant
Coastal Design Builders — North Charleston
In&Outdoor Cabinetry — North Charleston
Lowcountry Custom Pool & Spa — Mount Pleasant
Carpet Baggers — West Ashley
Lowcountry Hurricane & Protection — Mount Pleasant
Just Additions and Remodeling — Mount Pleasant
Clear Blue Pools — Summerville
1st Class Painting and Restoration — Summerville
Advanced Window Fashions — Mount Pleasant
Applied Sciences — North Charleston
Amerisips — Charleston (Daniel Island area)
Charleston Lighting & Interiors — Charleston
Cinder Creek — James Island
Coastal Carolina Designs — Mount Pleasant
Crawlspace Solutions — North Charleston
DIG Landscapes — North Charleston
Energy One America — Charleston (Daniel Island area)
HWC Custom Cabinetry — North Charleston
New Leaf Tree Service — Mount Pleasant
QEI/TEQ Home — Goose Creek
Sunview General Contractors — Summerville
The Pendergrass Moving Co. — Mount Pleasant
Universal Marble & Granite — North Charleston
ATS — Mount Pleasant
Fisher Recycling — North Charleston
The All American Kitchen & Outdoor Co. — James Island
Rhino Shield — Mount Pleasant
Priesters Custom Contracting — North Charleston
Reads Moving Systems — Summerville
Lane’s Professional Pest Elimination — Surfside Beach
Heritage Pools LLC — North Charleston
Artistic Design & Construction — West Ashley
Real Deal Countertops — Summerville
Remark Landscape & Architecture — North Charleston
Swift Appliance — Mount Pleasant
Classic Remodeling & Construction — Johns Island
Leafguard of the Lowcountry — Summerville
Schneider Tree Care — Mount Pleasant
Alaglass Pools Charleston — Daniel Island
All About Garage Doors — Summerville
Aqua Blue Pools — Hollywood
Blue Haven Pools — North Charleston
Buckhannon — Mount Pleasant
Carolina Flooring Specialists Inc. — Greenville
Carolina Lanterns & Lighting Center — Mount Pleasant
Carolina Machine Finishing — North Charleston
Danco Modern Furniture — Mount Pleasant
Edgewater Energy — North Charleston
Express Sunrooms — North Charleston
Just Hardscape & Design — Moncks Corner
Kitchen Craft — Mount Dora, Fla.
Kitchen Magic of the Lowcountry — Charleston
Melcer Tile — North Charleston
Mosquito Nix — Charleston
NextGen Technologies — Summerville
Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Charleston — West Ashley
Palmetto Exterminators/Palmetto Mosquito Control — Charleston
Plugs Appliances — North Charleston
Shelf Genie — Savannah, Ga.
Special Additions — Summerville
Strock Enterprise Design & Remodel LLC — North Charleston
Three Rivers Homes — West Ashley
Muhler — West Ashley
Berkeley Electric Cooperative — Moncks Corner.