Boeing Co.'s CEO downplayed the loss of jetliner sales to Iranian air carriers caused by President Donald Trump's decision this week to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal.

Dennis Muilenburg said Wednesday that his company had not committed production slots for the Iranian orders of Boeing's 777 widebody and 737 MAX jetliners and would continue to "follow the U.S. government's lead" when it comes to Iran.

The Trump administration moved Tuesday to reimpose sanctions on the Islamic Republic that had been lifted as part of a multinational nuclear pact negotiated during the Obama administration.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said on Tuesday the measures would include canceling export licenses issued to Boeing and rival Airbus to sell about $40 billion worth of jetliners to Iranian carriers.

Sign up for our new business newsletter

We're starting a weekly newsletter about the business stories that are shaping Charleston and South Carolina. Get ahead with us - it's free.


Muilenburg said it was "very important" that the cancellations applied to both companies, preserving "a level playing field."

Boeing is one of the largest employers in the Charleston region, where it makes the 787 Dreamliner. The company's South Carolina operations also supply engine parts to the 777 and the 737 MAX planes that the Iran airlines were set to buy.

Boeing shares rose on Muilenburg's comments, closing at $344.50, up 1.8 percent for the day.

Contact John McDermott at 843-937-5572 or follow him on Twitter at @byjohnmcdermott