Bail denied for drive-by shooting suspect

Danziel Chapman

WALTERBORO – A circuit judge today denied bond for a man charged with murder in connection with the drive-by shooting last month that killed three and injured six more.

Circuit Judge Ernest Kinard told attorneys for 19-year-old Denziel Chapman that they could ask for another bail hearing in March while authorities continue to investigate who else was involved in the Nov. 10 shootings at Gerideau Street and McDaniel Avenue.

Chapman is charged with one count of murder in the death of 21-year-old Christopher Powell. Also killed were 20-month-old Shaniyah Burden and 45-year-old “Bubba Dog” Kittrell.

Fourteenth Circuit Solicitor Duffie Stone said in court that they have two on-scene witnesses who identified Chapman as one of those inside the car. Chapman's hands and clothing also tested positive for gunshot residue, he said.

“I don't think there was any bond the judge could have possibly set that would have ensured that this community is safe from Denziel Chapman,” Stone said later. “We'll try the case when everybody is arrested and charged.”

Chapman's defense attorney E. W. Bennett, Jr., told the judge that he has three witnesses, including Chapman's fiancee, who will testify that Chapman was with them the night of the shootings.

“That day he was at my house. We was on the computer,” said Amani Hills, Chapman's fiancee and mother to his 1-year-old son. “They have an innocent person in jail right now.”

Read more details in Friday's editions of The Post and Courier.