A West Ashley woman was burned after cooking oil caught fire Thursday night, according to Charleston Fire Department officials.

A 44-year-old woman, who was not identified, was cooking in her kitchen at Plantation Apartments on Carriage Lane around 9:38 p.m., fire officials said.

The woman left the kitchen and after returning discovered the cooking pot had caught fire, according to fire officials.

The woman took the pot off the stove, placed it in the sink and turned on the faucet, officials said.

Hot oil splattered onto the woman and burned her hands, according to fire officials.

The woman was hospitalized. The apartment's kitchen suffered smoke damage.

Reach Natalie Caula Hauff at 937-5594 or Twitter.com/ncaula.