Teen who had tongue bitten off linked to another sex attack in North Charleston

Antoine Tremane Miller

The teenager who had his tongue bitten off last month during an alleged sexual assault in North Charleston has been linked to another attack, police announced Monday.

Antoine Tremane Miller, 17, of Remount Road had been jailed Oct. 16 after a 33-year-old woman said he started to sexually assault her outside her Sumner Avenue home.

But the woman bit off his tongue when he forced it into her mouth, the North Charleston Police Department said.

Detectives later linked Miller to an attempted sexual assault earlier in the fall, police spokesman Spencer Pryor said Monday.

He was 16 years old at the time of both incidents. He faces charges as an adult in both cases because of their violent nature.

On Sept. 27, a different woman, also 33, said she was walking on a path from Remount Road to Garrett Avenue around 9 p.m. when she noticed a man following her, an incident report stated. She started to run, but the man grabbed her and dragged her into the bushes behind a Chinese restaurant.

When the man got on top of her, the woman screamed that she would call the police. That’s when the attacker ran way, the report stated.

The victim went to the restaurant, China Wok, and banged on a door, yelling for someone to call for help. When officers arrived, they said, she grabbed and hugged one of them. She cried.

A new arrest warrant was filed against Miller on Tuesday, Pryor said. He faces a charge of assault with intent to commit first-degree sexual assault in connection with the September incident.

Miller also faces five other charges in the October attack, including criminal sexual conduct, burglary and kidnapping.

The circumstances of that episode captured headlines nationwide.

Police said a young man had a knife when he forced his way into the woman’s home and carried her to a bedroom. She kicked him, and he threatened to kill her.

When he started kissing her, she bit his tongue so hard that she “heard it snap,” a report stated. He started screaming and ran away.

Police caught Miller after his mother called 911 for medical aid.

Reach Andrew Knapp at 843-937-5414 or twitter.com/offlede.

We're improving out commenting experience.

We’ve temporarily removed comments from articles while we work on a new and better commenting experience. In the meantime, subscribers are encouraged to join the conversation at our Post and Courier Subscribers group on Facebook.