A 30-year-old man was arrested Saturday in connection with an April 18 fatal shooting at a public housing complex on Charleston’s East Side, a police spokesman said.

Bryant M. Smith was charged with murder in the April 18 slaying of a 28-year-old man near Reid and East Bay streets, police spokesman Charles Francis said in an emailed statement. Smith was being held in the Charleston County jail pending a bail hearing set for Sunday.

A second suspect was still being sought, Francis said. He did not provide any information about the second suspect.

About 11:40 a.m. on April 18, George Akeem Bennett, 28, of English Street in North Charleston, was killed while standing outside an apartment at 2-C Reid St.

When police arrived at the housing complex, Bennett, who had a criminal record and had been banned from setting foot on the city’s public housing properties, and a 27-year-old man who lives on Aiken Street, were sitting wounded in a car, according to the incident report.

The wounded man was holding a 3-year-old child when he was shot, police said. The child was not hurt. That man was treated at a hospital and released.

The man who was in the car with Bennett is also on the list of people banned from Charleston public housing, police said.