String of burglaries reported in downtown Charleston

Seven burglaries occurred in downtown Charleston this month over a span of nine days, and Charleston police said they are still investigating whether the crimes are related.

One arrest has been made so far, Charleston police spokesman Charles Francis said Saturday.

Antonio Dilligard, 59, of Line Street, has been charged with second-degree burglary and property crime enhancement in an April 15 Cannon Street burglary.

Dilligard was being held in the Al Cannon Detention Center.

The April 15 incident was one of seven burglaries reported on nearby streets from April 9-17.

Francis said the other burglaries happened on Smith, Duncan, Coming and Vanderhorst streets.

“Police haven’t determined if the burglaries are related,” Francis said. “Investigators are actively investigating these burglaries and have implemented specific plans to address these incidents.”

The streets are within a 2-mile radius of each other.

Details about what was stolen was not immediately available.

However, some of these burglaries might have been prevented. Of the seven burglaries, six of the residences were left unlocked, Francis said.

Reach Caitlin Byrd at 843-937-5590 or at Twitter.com/MaryCaitlinByrd.