Associated Press

SPARTANBURG, S.C. - A Spartanburg park won't bring back a children's train that was involved in a crash that killed a child and injured 28 people more three years ago.

The miniature train hadn't run since the crash, and the Spartanburg County Council voted Monday on a plan to redesign Cleveland Park that does not include the train that has carried children around the park for decades, the Herald-Journal of Spartanburg reported.

Investigators said the train's driver was going too fast when it derailed in March 2011, tumbling down a rocky embankment. A 6-year-old boy was killed and a state law was passed limiting the speed for children's trains.

Several families of children hurt in the wreck came to a public hearing last year asking that the train not return.

"It is the strong desire of Spartanburg County Council to see Cleveland Park move forward without the train," Councilman Michael Brown said.

Park officials said there were people who pointed out the train ran for years without any problems and created happy memories for thousands of people.

But interim Parks Department Director Jim Campbell says human error cannot be eliminated from running the train and that's why his workers suggested it should not return.

"We can't prevent all incidents at all of our facilities, but I don't want anyone to ever go through that again," Council Chairman Jeff Horton said.

More than two dozen victims, including the family of the boy killed, split a $1.6 million settlement from the crash.

When the redesign is finished, Cleveland Park will have what may be the largest playground in the county, with the old train station turned into a picnic shelter and the depot into a concession stand and police substation.

--

Information from: Herald-Journal, http://www.goupstate.com/