Space heater blamed after fire destroys house on Sullivan’s Island

Fire destroyed this house on Jasper Boulevard Wednesday morning.

Flames destroyed a house on Sullivan’s Island Wednesday morning, and firefighters blamed a space heater.

The fire on Jasper Boulevard was reported at 7:30 a.m. Heavy smoke could be seen for miles.

Firefighters from Sullivan’s Island, the Isle of Palms and Mount Pleasant battled the blaze, but the house was a total loss, Sullivan’s Island Fire and Rescue Department Assistant Chief Christopher McDonald said.

The fire started on an enclosed back porch because a space heater was too close to materials that could burn, he said.

A woman heard the fire alarm and woke up her father, and both of them got out safely, McDonald said. Charleston County EMS was on standby.

Reach Dave Munday at 937-5553.