A smoking air-conditioner motor brought fire trucks to a downtown Charleston private school Friday morning.
Emergency crews were sent to Charleston Day School on Archdale Street about 9 a.m. Students are out for the summer, so the building was empty.
Crews found that smoke had set off a fire alarm, Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh said. They discovered the smoke coming from a bad motor on an air-conditioner.
Streets around the school were blocked off while crews checked out the situation and cleared smoke from the building. The school is across the street from the historic Unitarian Church and is a popular carriage route. Several carriages had to find alternate routes while the streets were blocked off.
Reach Dave Munday at 937-5553.