Red Cross helping four families after West Ashley townhouse complex fire

The local American Red Cross is helping four families after their West Ashley townhouses were damaged by fire Monday.

The Charleston and St. Andrews fire departments responded at 1 p.m. to the blaze at a complex on Grech Street, according to city fire spokesman Ryan Kunitzer.

Smoke was venting from the front of the two-story structure and the fire was under control within 15 minutes. There was smoke and fire damage in one townhouse and some smoke and water damage to neighboring units, Kunitzer said.

The fire started in the kitchen of one of the townhouses and appears to be related to unattended cooking, he added.

The Red Cross said it was helping six adults and two children by providing services to meet their immediate needs, including financial assistance for food, clothing and temporary lodging, comfort kits with personal hygiene items and referrals to partner agencies that assist in long-term recovery.

Reach Melissa Boughton at 843-937-5594 or at Twitter.com/mboughtonPC.

We're improving out commenting experience.

We’ve temporarily removed comments from articles while we work on a new and better commenting experience. In the meantime, subscribers are encouraged to join the conversation at our Post and Courier Subscribers group on Facebook.