Prosecutor clears Sumter deputies in shooting

SUMTER, S.C. — Two Sumter County sheriff’s deputies have been cleared in the shooting of a man during a domestic dispute earlier this year.

Sheriff’s spokesman Braden Bunch told local media that prosecutor Ernest Finney III determined that the officers acted properly and will not be charged in the July 18 shooting.

Finney reviewed a report by the State Law Enforcement Division in the wounding of 39-year-old Michael Deshawn Dinkins.

Bunch said Tuesday Cpl. Symeon Graham and Senior Deputy Desmond Sabb have returned to normal duty.

The officers responded to a domestic dispute near Dalzell. The officers said Dinkins became aggressive and they tried to use stun guns to subdue him. When the man reached for one of the officer’s guns, they fired.

Dinkins faces first-degree assault and battery and four other charges.