Press conference scheduled in North Charleston to discuss shooting death of Walter Scott

Local community activists have canceled a press conference that was intended to discuss the shooting death of a black man last week by a North Charleston officer.

Walter Lamer Scott, 50, of Meadowlawn Drive in West Ashley, was stopped for a broken brake light around 9:30 a.m. Saturday at the intersection of Craig and Remount roads.

An officer, later identified as Patrolman 1st Class Michael Thomas Slager, reported to investigators that the encounter escalated when Scott attempted to run on foot from the scene.

A statement released by North Charleston police spokesman Spencer Pryor said the officer deployed his department-issued Taser in an attempt to stop the driver.

That did not work, police said, and an altercation ensued as the men struggled over the device. Police allege that during the struggle the man gained control of the Taser and attempted to use it against the officer.

The officer then resorted to his service weapon and shot him dead, police alleged.

The fatal shooting is being investigated by the State Law Enforcement Division.

Community activists, including members of the National Action Network, the NAACP and the coalition, were scheduled to hold a press conference 2 p.m. Tuesday to discuss the incident, according to local National Action Network president James Johnson. The conference was, however, canceled, he said.

Reach Christina Elmore at 937-5908 or at Twitter.com/celmorePC.