A carrier for The Post and Courier quit his job Thursday after he was confronted with gunfire while delivering newspapers on North Charleston’s streets for the second time in two years.

The 36-year-old carrier from Summerville, who asked that his name not be used, told police he was traveling on Hyde Avenue and headed toward Durant Avenue when he heard a gunshot and saw a muzzle flash about 5:30 a.m.

A bullet narrowly missed the man as it shattered his driver’s side window and hit the stereo of the Chevrolet Suburban he was driving.

The carrier said he pressed his foot on the gas and sped away to the safety of a nearby Plasma Center at the corner of Rivers and McMillan avenues to await police.

“First thing was I wanted to make sure I wasn’t hit,” the carrier said. “I thought I got hit in the arm because I had a sharp pain on my bicep by my elbow.”

The pain wasn’t from a bullet, but from shattered glass that peppered the man’s arm. Paramedics treated his injuries and he was released.

The carrier could not describe the shooter and a suspect has not been identified, North Charleston police spokesman Spencer Pryor said.

The carrier faced a similar situation in 2010 when five rounds riddled his car early one November morning. A nearby house in the area of Fillmore and S.T. Simmons streets was also struck.

The man said he couldn’t think of any reason why someone would target him in either shooting. For him, mistaken identity is a more reasonable explanation.

“The police asked me if I have any affiliations to the streets and I told them no. I’m a working man trying to work a 9 to 5 to support my family. Delivering papers was just supposed to be a way to make a few extra dollars on the side,” the carrier said.

He said the decision to resign wasn’t a hard one to make when considering the value of his life.

“I was lucky the first time, and very fortunate this time as well. Who’s to say the next time something worse couldn’t happen? I’ve got a wife, and I’ve got kids and a few people on this Earth who love me, so I have to think about them.”

The carrier was ready to walk away from his delivery job after the first shooting, according to the newspaper’s independent distribution manager Larry Bouronich, but he returned after a month of leave having been promised a safer route closer to Park Circle.

Bouronich said he was upset to see his employee leave after about seven years of service, but that the man’s decision was understandable given the situation.

“He said the next strike might be the last one, and you can’t really blame him for that,” Bouronich said.

Reach Christina Elmore at 937-5908 or at Twitter.com/celmorePC.