Police: Online romance turns into nightmare

Christopher Davis is accused of sexually assaulted a Charleston woman, and holding her captive for more than a week, deputies say. He wad charged with unlawful use of a telephone, criminal sexual conduct, kidnapping, first-degree-assault and battery and resisting arrest.

A Charleston woman’s online quest for love ended with her being held captive for more than a week in the home of a drunken Upstate man who beat and raped her, Laurens County authorities said.

The woman told deputies she met Christopher B. Davis, 35, on a dating website, and came to live with him at his home on S.C. Highway 560 in Mountville on Sept. 15. It was unclear Wednesday how long they had known each other before she moved in.

Everything was fine until Sept. 20, when Davis began drinking heavily, a Laurens County Sheriff’s Office incident report states.

The woman said Davis told her to take off her clothes. When she refused, she told deputies Davis hit, choked and raped her.

He continued to beat and rape the woman for several days, and was attempting to rape her again on Sept. 27 shortly before deputies arrived, the report states.

Davis threatened to kill the woman if she ever told anyone about their fighting, the report said.

A friend of the victim called deputies after overhearing Davis arguing with the woman while she was on the phone.

After that call, deputies ran a background check on Davis and found that he was wanted for harassing a 17-year-old girl he met on Facebook.

Deputies said Davis sent the girl pictures of his genitals from his cellphone and threatened her when she told him of her plans to call law enforcement and get a restraining order, an incident report said. When deputies arrived at the home, Davis came to the door but refused to come outside, the report said.

Deputies grabbed Davis by the wrist to pull him outside of the house, and used a stun gun on him when he continued to resist, the report said.

Davis broke the stun gun’s wires and ran back inside the home, deputies said.

While inside, deputies said they heard the woman yell to Davis, “Don’t grab that.” They assumed the man was attempting to grab a weapon, the report said.

Deputies said Davis eventually came out of the home, and was placed under arrest.

He was bleeding from where the stun gun’s prongs entered his body, and was taken to the hospital for treatment.

Davis was then taken to the Johnson Detention Center and charged with unlawful use of a telephone, criminal sexual conduct, kidnapping, first-degree assault and battery and resisting arrest.

His bail was set at $1,092 on the telephone charge, but he was denied bail on the more serious charges.

Reach Christina Elmore at 937-5908 or at Twitter.com/celmorePC.