North Charleston gas-station shooting sent patrons running in fear

Montre Desean Brown, 23, of Alabama Drive (left) is a suspect after the Friday fatal shooting of Kenneth Lamont Robinson, 34, of South Rhett Avenue (right) at a North Charleston gas station.

A point-blank fatal shooting in broad daylight at a North Charleston gas station sent people running from the store and a woman screaming for help, according to 911 calls released Monday.

The calls were received about 12:30 p.m. Friday, shortly after Kenneth Lamont Robinson, 34, of South Rhett Avenue was shot to death inside the Exxon at 2330 Ashley Phosphate Road.

The suspect, Montre Desean Brown, 23, of Alabama Drive, turned himself in Monday at the Charleston County jail, according to police spokesman Spencer Pryor. He is expected Tuesday to appear in bond court.

Police said Robinson and Brown had been arguing over a drug deal. Investigators said Brown waited in a restroom at the gas station until Robinson walked in, shot him several times, took something from him, and ran out of the store.

Robinson lay on the floor bleeding while 911 operators fielded calls.

"I got shots fired inside the store," a man who identified himself as an employee of the gas station said in the first call. "I've got a guy down. I need help. ... I got chaos in the parking lot."

A few minutes later, a woman called, screaming and wailing.

"My God, my God, my daddy is dead," she kept repeating. "Please, somebody come and get my daddy off the floor."

The woman eventually said the shooter was a heavyset black man who fled in a white Chrysler.

"I looked him dead in the face," she told the operator.

Another woman called to report that a man jumped into her car and told her that somebody had been shot at the gas station and they had to get them away from there. The caller said she saw a pearl Chrysler 300 speed away from the station.

"I can't stop shaking," she told the operator.

Police spotted a vehicle matching the description of the one that fled from the gas station and stopped it on Rivers Avenue near Durant Avenue. A woman who was driving said she dropped Brown off near Northwoods Mall, according to Pryor. An officer noted in an incident report that blood was on the trunk.

Police issued a warrant for Brown's arrest on a murder charge.

Both Brown and Robinson had lengthy criminal records, according to the State Law Enforcement Division.

Brown was arrested in September 2010, when he was 19, and charged with attempted murder after he was involved in a gun battle with the driver of a minivan on Ladson Road. He pleaded guilty to first-degree assault and battery and was released under five years' supervision under the state's Youthful Offender Act.

Brown was arrested again in November 2012 and charged with possession of a stolen gun.

In November 2014, he was convicted of third-degree assault and battery and credited with jail time.

Robinson was convicted several times for possession of marijuana, criminal domestic violence and felony driving under suspension as a habitual offender. Several other charges, including trafficking cocaine and possession of a weapon by a felon, were dismissed after he was arrested, according to Charleston County Court records.

Andrew Knapp contributed to this report. Reach Dave Munday at 937-5553.