North Charleston Fire Department: gasleak caused by landscaper, no reported injuries

North Charleston firefighters responded Tuesday morning to a reported gas leak at a restaurant on Northwoods Boulevard, Charleston County dispatchers said.

Authorities received a call about a possible leak at King Street Grille shortly after 9 a.m., according to an official with Charleston County’s Consolidated 911 Dispatch Center.

The first arriving fire crew reported finding a small ruptured gas line near the building, said North Charleston Fire Department spokeswoman Bianca Bourbeau. It appeared a landscaper accidentally struck the line with a pick ax.

Fire crews evacuated King Street Grille and proceeded to monitor the air quality while crimping the small gas line. South Carolina Electric and Gas responded and capped the line.

There were no reported injuries, Bourbeau said. All units cleared the area by 11:15 a.m.

Melissa Boughton contributed to this report. Reach Christina Elmore at 937-5908 or at Twitter.com/celmorePC.