Man wanted in Berkeley search got into fight with family, then fled while believed to be armed

A Summerville man believed to be armed and dangerous fought with his family Monday and then fled the area, prompting an elaborate seven-hour manhunt in Berkeley County, according to officials.

Daniel Ward, 33, ultimately turned himself in at the courthouse in Moncks Corner after contacting a family member who knew an attorney and set the whole thing up with a familiar law enforcement officer, said Maj. Anthony Phyall.

Ward is now being held at the Berkeley County Detention Center and charges are forthcoming. Investigators are scheduled to meet with the solicitor Tuesday morning to determine what charges can be filed, Phyall said.

The search began just after noon, which is when the initial call came in. Phyall said Ward got into a physical altercation with family members, at which time they called police and he fled the scene.

He said that no one was injured to the point that EMS presence was warranted, but that information given at the scene prompted the search for Ward.

Deputies began their search in the area of 176 Alexander Circle, according to Phyall, around where they heard a single gunshot. At that time, they cordoned off the area and began warning residents to stay inside. A perimeter was set up around Ward Lane, Irby Drive, McLaurin Avenue and State Road.

Berkeley County schools were also put on lockdown. The lockdown for employees at Cane Bay elementary, middle and high schools went into effect around 3 p.m., Berkeley County School District spokesman Chip Sturgis. Students were still on spring break.

County spokesman Michael Mule said at the time that Ward had threatened to harm himself behind 1496 State Road, near Summerville.

Phyall said the sheriff’s office called in assistance from Charleston County and one of its helicopters responded.

During the search, Ward “slipped out” of the perimeter, Phyall said, to turn himself in just after 7:10 p.m. after contacting a family member.

Phyall said a reverse 911 was sent out to residents after he was taken into custody and the lockdown was cancelled.

Monday was a staff development day, so no students were in class during the administrative lockdown. The lockdown only affected administrative staff and teachers in the buildings, and high school athletes who were pulled off the practice field and sent indoors, Sturgis said.

Andrew Knapp and Deanna Pan contributed to this report. Reach Melissa Boughton at 937-5594 or at