Henry Woodrow Rittenberg, a retired physician and community leader, died Sunday.
He was 94. Born Jan. 6, 1918, he was the son of Sadie Livingstain Rittenberg and the Honorable Samuel O. Rittenberg, for whom the West Ashley highway was named. He graduated from the High School of Charleston and earned a degree in business administration from The Citadel.
After graduation, Rittenberg worked for Greenwood Cotton Mill until 1942, when he resigned to join the Army. He served as an artillery man, seeing combat duty in the European theater. In late 1945, he earned a Certificate in French Culture and Civilization from the University of Paris.
When he returned to South Carolina in 1946, Rittenberg moved to Branchville to help his uncle manage a pharmacy. He commuted to Columbia for three years to earn a pharmacy degree, then earned a doctor of medicine degree from the Medical University of South Carolina. After completing an internship with Indianapolis General Hospital, he returned to Charleston in 1957 to practice medicine in partnership with his brother, Alvin L. Rittenberg.
He retired in 1985. Rittenberg was active in his community, during and after his career. He was a co-founder of the Kiwanis Club of North Charleston, Crime Stoppers of Charleston, the Trident Technical Foundation and the Lowcountry Phi Beta Kappa Association. He served as president of the MUSC Alumni Association and was a fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians. Memberships included the Hebrew Benevolent Society, Omar Shine Temple and several state, local and national medical associations.
He is survived by his wife, Sara Zucker Rittenberg.
Arrangements are being handled by Stuhr’s Downtown Chapel.