A smoke alarm and sprinkler system kept a kitchen fire from doing more damage at a West Ashley condominium complex Thursday night, according to the Charleston Fire Department.

Firefighters were called to Concord Condominiums about 10:06 p.m. Thursday, according to a report from the fire department. They discovered that a kitchen fire had been extinguished by a sprinkler system. The tenant had been cooking and left the kitchen for a few minutes. The smoke alarm went off and the tenant discovered the stove was on fire. The sprinkler system came on and put out the fire.

The condo sustained water damage and minor smoke and fire damage. The underneath it suffered minor water damage. The tenant got a minor burn on one hand.

Unattended cooking is one of the leading causes of fire, and this fire would have been worse without a working smoke alarm and sprinkler system, Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh said.

Reach Dave Munday at 937-5553.