Judge denies bail for accused serial rapist in Charleston

A judge denied bail for accused serial rapist Nathaniel Wilson this afternoon after Charleston police charged him with a fifth attack on a woman in the city.

The 47-year-old homeless man appeared in Charleston County bond court shackled at the waist and ankles. He stared hard at the people in the gallery and rattled his chains, but said little during the brief proceeding.

He is charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct in connection with a rape in February 2012.

Wilson has been jailed since August, when he was charged with holding a woman captive and fondling her for four hours. That ordeal ended at a convenience store when the woman mouthed the words “help me” to a clerk, who called police, authorities said.

The latest charge involves a Feb. 29, 2012 attack in which a 26-year-old woman told police she was raped by a man in a field under the Interstate 26 overpass near the intersection of Meeting and Lee streets, according to a police report.

DNA evidence linked Wilson to the attack, police spokesman Charles Francis said. Wilson is expected to have a bond hearing later today.

Wilson is a registered sex offender in South Carolina following a 1982 rape in Richland County for which he was convicted, State Law Enforcement Division records show. Due to its age, additional details and records from that case are not available, officials have said.

He was arrested last August in Charleston after police said he approached a 28-year-old woman on King Street and forced to stay with him for four hours while he fondled her multiple times.

In September, Charleston police charged Wilson again, this time in connection with an April 28 attack in which a woman was jumped from behind as she walked from a friend’s home on Line Street. Police said DNA samples linked Wilson to the attack on the woman.

Investigators charged Wilson again in October after they said they had linked him to a July 20 sexual assault on Line Street. That victim told police the suspect lured her to an abandoned house with the promise of a beer, then raped her, authorities said.

In November, he was charged in a July 22 incident in which a woman reported being attacked by an acquaintance while having beers at her home, police said. When she came out of the bathroom, the man confronted her with a knife, tossed her on the bed and sexually assaulted her, according to a police report.

Check back with postandcourier.com for more on this story as it becomes available.

See news happening in your neighborhood? Send us your news tips, photos and videos by email to crimenews@postandcourier.com or call (843) 937-5581.