The woman accused of involvement in the 1992 killing of a Navy sailor is trying to have her charges dropped, according to court records.

Konnie Glidden, 42, of Goose Creek is charged with murder, kidnapping and first-degree criminal sexual conduct in connection to the killing of 22-year-old James Horton.

A judge will hear arguments in the request by Glidden's attorney, Kate Landess, to dismiss the case during a hearing scheduled for next month.

Landess alleges the 9th Circuit Solicitor's Office prosecutors have violated Glidden's constitutional rights by withholding evidence and delaying the trial, according to court records. Assistant Solicitor Greg Voigt, who is prosecuting the case, contends Landess is the real problem in the case. He alleges Landess does not have the skills, experience or temperament to defend Glidden in this case, according to his filing.

"Ms. Landess lacks the insight to understand that the concerns and controversies in this case are of her own making," Voigt's filing stated. "Ms. Landess has been for some time an impediment to justice being served in this case."

Voigt cited one instance during an April 2013 hearing, when a circuit judge ordered Landess to apologize to the court in writing after accusing prosecutors of digitally altering statements but providing no evidence to support the allegation.

In July 2012, Landess appeared to a hearing two hours late and "appeared hostile and befuddled," according to the prosecutor's filing. The hearing was stopped after Circuit Judge Markley Dennis warned Landess she was crossing the line during her questioning of an investigator, according to a transcript of the hearing.

"We are going to take about a five-minute break because you're about to go to jail," Dennis said to Landess. "Your sarcasm is oozing."

Glidden and her former boyfriend, Charles Welty of Montana, are the last of the four original defendants who still face charges in the case, accused of participating in the beating, gang rape and killing of Horton in Berkeley County.

Prosecutors dropped charges against former defendant Doug Emory two years ago for lack of evidence. The fourth man, Thomas Solheim, died in Long Island last year and prosecutors posthumously dismissed the charges against him. His defense attorney, Andy Savage, then successfully petitioned the court to have Solheim's charges expunged.

Horton was stationed at the former Charleston Naval Base, assigned to the ocean minesweeper Exultant, when his body was found in a drainage ditch off Sheep Island Road on Nov. 14, 1992.

Horton lay face down in about 4 feet of water with his hands tied behind his back. He had been shot in the chest, struck on the head with a blunt object and sexually assaulted.

Glidden has maintained that her confession was coerced after a grueling interrogation led by an Naval Criminal Investigative Service agent, and that it was all a pack of lies brought on by an emotional meltdown.

Reach Natalie Caula Hauff at 937-5594 or