Girl raped by man in standoff, police say

Gary Fraley is being held in the Berkeley County jail.

The man accused of firing a shot at the owner of a Goose Creek bowling alley where his wife worked Tuesday also raped an 11-year-old girl on his way there, according to reports released Friday.

Gary Curtis Fraley, 47, of Balbriggan Drive was charged with attempted murder and kidnapping when he was taken into custody Tuesday. He also faces additional charges including first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor.

It started Tuesday afternoon when Fraley asked the girl's parents if he could take her to a surprise birthday party for his daughter at Royal Lanes on Central Avenue, according to a police report. The parents agreed, since they had known him for several years.

On the way to the bowling alley, Fraley stopped at the Econo Lodge on North Goose Creek Boulevard. The girl later told her parents and authorities that Fraley made her take a shower, drink beer and NyQuil and take off her clothes. Then she said he raped her at gunpoint, including sodomizing her. The girl later underwent a medical examination.

The girl said Fraley told her he was having sex with her because it was actually his birthday (which it was) and he was sad that his wife was cheating on him with the owner of the bowling alley, according to the report. Police said his wife was manager of the bowling alley.

Fraley also told the girl he had cancer and only had months to live and he was going to kill himself, according to the report. Then he told her if she ever told anybody what happened, he would track her down and kill her.

They watched a little "SpongeBob" on television and continued on their way to the bowling alley. Fraley told her to wait in the car while he went inside about 5:30 p.m. She got out of the car after a few minutes and borrowed a woman's phone to call her father. Then she said she heard a gunshot and saw people running out of the building.

Police said Fraley fired the shot at Steven Tsafos, the bowling alley's owner. Witnesses said they heard the two arguing in an office. Police later said nobody was hit by the bullet.

Tsafos came out of the building after a few minutes, while Fraley remained inside with a gun. Most of the patrons, some still in their bowling shoes, waited in a field across the street while police surrounded the building. Members of the SWAT team hit Fraley with a Taser and took him into custody about 7:15 p.m.

He is being held in the Berkeley County jail.

Reach Dave Munday at 937-5553.