Investigators do not suspect foul play in the death of a Johns Island man whose throat was slashed last weekend, they said Monday.
Early evidence indicates that the circumstances of the 48-year-old’s death Saturday night were not suspicious, though that hasn’t yet been ruled out, Charleston County Sheriff’s Office Maj. Eric Watson said.
The Charleston County Coroner’s Office has not publicly named the man.
A relative of his told deputies that she was cooking dinner around 8:20 p.m. at their Ardwick Road home when he stumbled inside, bleeding profusely from the Adam’s apple area of his neck. The man had been outside, but his relative didn’t know what he was doing and had not heard a commotion, an incident report stated.
The man stumbled back outside and collapsed in a flooded area of the backyard, the report stated. He was awake but unable to speak when paramedics showed up. He died later at Medical University Hospital.
Outside the home, investigators found a large pool of blood near what they said looked like a piece of a broken mirror.
The deputies used police dogs and a helicopter to search the area, but they found no one who appeared to have been involved in the man’s injury, the report added.
The relative said that the man wasn’t suicidal but that he had some mental health problems and suffered epilepsy, the document stated.
“Early indications and evidence is ruling out the possibility of foul play as being a factor in this incident,” Watson said Monday. “However, we have not ruled out foul play completely at this time.”
Reach Andrew Knapp at 843-937-5414 or twitter.com/offlede.