An electrical fire damaged Forever 21 on King Street Thursday morning.
A fire alarm in the store at 211 King St. in Majestic Square went off shortly after 5:30 a.m., according to Charleston Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh.
King Street between Hasell and Market streets was blocked for several hours while crews, including a ladder truck, were on the scene. St. Andrews, James Island and North Charleston fire departments assisted, and Charleston County EMS and Charleston police were also on scene.
Firefighters found smoke inside and a fire in an electrical panel on the first floor, with heavy smoke in the main electrical room. A crew from South Carolina Electric & Gas shut off power to the building.
The fire damage was contained to the electrical room, with extensive damage to some of the electrical circuits, Julazadeh said. Water pooled in the street outside the store, and the doors were open to air out the smoke.
One firefighter was treated at a hospital and released after inhaling chemicals used to suppress the fire, Julazadeh said.
The doors to the store were locked Thursday afternoon. There was a strong smell of burned electrical wiring outside, Nobody was available to say when the store might reopen, and there were no signs on the windows. A message left with the corporate office was not returned.
Reach Dave Munday at 843-937-5553.