A fire in a Johns Island apartment complex Saturday morning was extinguished by the apartment’s sprinkler system before firefighters arrived, according to the Charleston fire department.

The blaze at the Sea Island Apartments began on the stove of a third-floor unit before spreading to the microwave and cabinets, according to the news release.

Tenants of the apartment complex, which is at 3672 Maybank Highway, were leaving the building when firefighters from the Charleston, James Island and Saint Johns Fire Departments responded just after 11 a.m. There were no reported injuries.

“Fire sprinklers have proven themselves yet again as an invaluable tool to improve property and life safety,” Charleston Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh said in a statement.