Dog saves Awendaw residents from fire

Two Awendaw residents were awakened by their dog when their home caught fire this morning. Andrew Knapp/Staff

With a fire spreading in their home’s attic, Awendaw residents were awakened by their dog even as smoke alarms were sounding early this morning.

The blaze that was reported about 4:30 a.m. destroyed the home at Doar Road and George Washington Place.

The two residents who were sleeping in a bedroom at the time managed to escape through a window, Fire Chief Tommy Norris said. Paramedics helped the woman, who was distraught, he said.

It was not immediately known whether the homeowners had insurance.

The dog is a Jack Russell Terrier, according to a neighbor.

It took crews about 30 minutes to control the flames and another hour to entirely extinguish them, Norris said. Mount Pleasant firefighters assisted in the effort.

Norris said smoke alarms were working but that they didn’t wake the residents.

The cause of the fire and exactly where it started were not immediately known, Norris said.

Contact Knapp at 937-5414 or aknapp@postandcourier.com.

Andrew Knapp is editor of the quick response team, which covers crime, courts and breaking news. He previously worked as a reporter and copy editor at Florida Today, Newsday and Bangor (Maine) Daily News. He enjoys golf, weather and fatherhood.