Commercial building in Charleston damaged in morning fire

(FILE)

Firefighters were able to extinguish a commercial structure fire on King Street Extension early Thursday after Charleston police officers reported heavy smoke in the area.

Smoke was venting from a four-suite commercial building at 1437 King Street Extension, on the corner of King and Heriot streets, according to Charleston Fire Department spokesman Ryan Kunitzer. Fire officials were notified just before 1:10 a.m. and forced entry into the building.

“Due to the early discovery of the fire by the police department, fire personnel arrived quickly and safely brought the fire under control,” said Fire Chief Karen Brack in a news release. “First-arriving units located the fire and initiated an aggressive interior fire attack. Due to the quick response and early notification, the fire was contained to one business.”

The businesses in the commercial structure were not identified. The Fire Department Fire Marshal’s Division investigated and determined that the blaze originated in a break room at the back of one of the suites, near the electrical service for the business.

The involved suite had fire, smoke and water damage. Two adjacent suites had minor smoke and water damage.

Reach Melissa Boughton at 937-5594 or at Twitter.com/mboughtonPC.