Colleton County family of 5 displaced after mobile home is destroyed by fire

A famiy of five was displaced Tuesday after their mobile home in Colleton County was destroyed by fire.

A family of five was displaced Tuesday after their Colleton County mobile home was destroyed by fire.

The Palmetto Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the four adults and child left homeless after the blaze on Avalon Drive. According the Colleton County Fire-Rescue Department, crews responded to the home about 9:20 a.m. after several people called 911.

When they arrived, the mobile home was engulfed in flames and a portion of the structure, which was actually two single-wide mobile homes connected with a breezeway, had already collapsed, according to the department’s website.

An addition had been added to one of the mobile homes and a second roof was placed over all three buildings. Firefighters spent several hours removing tin from the multiple roofs before they could completely extinguish the fire, according to the department.

The fire appears to have started in the addition at the location of a wood burning stove, according to the department. Fire units were on the scene for three hours.

Reach Melissa Boughton at 937-5594 or at Twitter.com/mboughtonPC.