The Citadel’s Board of Visitors will first hire a “subject matter expert,” then an independent investigator to examine the school’s handling of a complaint about child molester Louis “Skip” ReVille.

The board met today to begin discussing how it would move forward with an independent review. It voted unanimously to hire the expert at its next meeting Aug. 9. The expert will submit to the board three names of appropriate review firms at its Aug. 24 meeting.

Board Vice Chairman Fred Price, who presided over the meeting, said the board plans to move swiftly on the independent investigation, while allowing enough time to ensure it is accurate and thorough.

A Citadel attorney last month told The Post and Courier that the military college had reversed a plan to seek a transparent, third-party review of its actions and policies in connection with ReVille. But six days later, Lt. Gen. John Rosa, the school’s president, said The Citadel never wavered from its original plan to conduct such an investigation.

At issue in The Citadel case is the decision-making process that occurred in 2007 after a teen accused ReVille of watching porn and masturbating with young boys at The Citadel’s summer camp five years earlier. The school closed the matter without notifying police following an internal investigation that yielded no action.

ReVille, a Citadel graduate and one of the camp’s counselors, went on to molest a number of children. He is now serving a 50-year prison term after he pleaded guilty in June to molesting 23 boys in the greater Charleston area.

Price said the results of the review will be “absolutely public.” The board will hold nothing back, he said. “We welcome this investigation.”

Read more in Thursday’s editions of The Post and Courier. Reach Diane Knich at 937-5491 or on Twitter @dianeknich.