The City of Charleston today dedicated a small square at the corner of Meeting and Wentworth streets to former Mayor William Courtenay.
The site is outside the fire station there. Courtenay is recognized for establishing a paid fire department for the city.
Fire-fighting in Charleston started out as a communal effort until the latter part of the eighteenth century. On January 1, 1882, Courtenay and the Charleston City Council established a paid fire department under the Department of Police, replacing the old volunteer system.
The site had been covered with concrete for the most of its existence. The city removed the layers of concrete and in its place designed a new garden.