Some Charleston County residents over the past few days received in the mail a brief questionnaire on whether they favored the controversial extension of the Mark Clark Expressway across Johns and James islands.
The survey came from the South Carolina Department of Transportation, but department officials said today they wouldn’t answer any questions about it.
Charleston County now has control of the project to complete Interstate 526, but it voted in January to turn it over the DOT. The department has not agreed to take on the road, however, even though many local elected officials have pushed the issue in recent weeks.
Those officials said at a news conference earlier this month that before the DOT would take over the project, it needed to know there was money available for it and that it had widespread community support.
If the DOT refuses to take on the project, Charleston County could be on the hook for $11.6 million already spent on it.
The questionnaire asked selected residents if they favored the completion of Interstate 526, as well as their age, race and gender. And it asked residents to return their responses by Aug. 21 to the University of South Carolina’s Institute for Public Service and Policy Research.
DOT spokesman Peter Poore said the department couldn’t answer questions until Tuesday. A University of South Carolina professor involved in the project couldn’t be reached until then, Poore said, and DOT officials couldn’t respond without that person’s input.
Read more in Tuesday’s editions of The Post and Courier.