ORANGEBURG — Orangeburg County authorities say a preliminary investigation shows a mother and young son have died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Investigators tell multiple media outlets that the 27-year-old mother and her 7-year-old son were found dead Saturday evening inside a home.

The coroner’s office hasn’t identified the two. Autopsies to determine the official cause of death are scheduled for Monday.

But Sheriff Leroy Ravenell says the preliminary shows exhaust from a heating appliance caused the deaths. He reminded people to be careful when using such appliances in their homes, especially as temperatures drop in the coming days.