Burke burglary suspect surrenders

Christopher W. Perot, 22, surrendered to police in connection with a June 17 break-in at Burke High School.

Charleston police have arrested a 22-year-old man in connection with a burglary that occurred last month at Burke Middle School, spokesman Charles Francis said.

Christopher W. Perot, 22, of 99 St. Philip St., turned himself in to police on Friday. Fingerprints left behind at the scene linked him to the incident, Francis said. He was charged with second-degree burglary.

The burglary happened June 17 when two people broke into Burke Middle School and played with a fire extinguisher, an incident report stated.

Police arrived at the school about 4:20 a.m. that day in response to an alarm. Police found an open window and scattered books near the Sumter Street side of the building, a report states.

A security officer reportedly found a used fire extinguisher and a Mad Dog 20/20 bottle that had Perot’s fingerprints on it, police said.

Police did not report any further theft or damage to the school.

A second suspect in the case remains at large. He is described as a white man with chin-length hair wearing a blue “Florida” hoodie with a white T-shirt and black skinny jeans.