'Backyard brawl'

Wando's Bailey Hart is tripped up by Bishop England's Lawton Fosberry during the 44th Annual C.T. Lowndes & Company Sertoma Classic Friday, Aug. 22, 2014 at Johnson Hagood Stadium. Paul Zoeller/Staff

Nothing like a good old-fashioned rivalry to provide some excitement, and area rivals Wando and Bishop England did just that on the second night of the 44th annual Sertoma Classic at Johnson Hagood Stadium.

In the most physical and spirited action of the night, Wando defeated Bishop England, 35-0, in a two-quarter scrimmage to cap the second night's action.

Bishop England used emotion to keep the scrimmage close through most of the first quarter, but Wando wore the Bishops down in the second quarter, scoring all five of its touchdowns in the final 12:47 of the scrimmage.

"We settled down," said Wando coach Jimmy Noonan. "Gosh, we were all over the place to start. I think our guys were pressing hard. You know, our guys live next door to all of their guys. They are all good buddies. They were anxious because they have to live with the outcome. Even though we're not in the same league and it doesn't count, it's important for both teams. It's a good ol' backyard brawl and it's fun."

The teams traded punts and fourth down stops throughout most of the first quarter before Wando broke through with a touchdown. Quarterback Bailey Hart hit Zola Davis down the middle for a 32-yard scoring pass, giving Wando a 7-0 lead with 47 seconds left in the quarter. Hart finished the night with more than 135 total yards.

Wando continued to wear down the Bishops in the second quarter. Bailey combined with tight end Ben Jacques on a 21-yard pass to the Bishops' 21-yard line. Hart scrambled for 10 yards and Kenny Waring added a nine-yard run, setting up a fourth-and-one at the Bishop England two-yard line. Waring capped the drive with a two-yard plunge, pushing the lead to 14-0 with 10:04 remaining in the second quarter.

Wando's first-teamers capped their effort with a 59-yard drive and Kevin Brown's 12-yard run made it 21-0 with 5:15 to play. Brown added another score with 2:38 remaining for the final margin and Ryan Williams scored with 1:11 to play. Bishop England had two turnovers on its own end of the field in the second quarter.

Stall High's first-year head coach Joe Bessinger tasted victory in his first live action as his Warriors knocked off Academic Magnet, 8-0, in the opening quarter of night two.

The Warriors showed off an impressive running game on their first possession but used two passes to score their touchdown. The first pass was a 30-yard completion from Darius McNeil to Devon McCoy, down to the 15-yard line.

Palmetto Christian and Garrett Tech each have new head coaches this fall. Chris Shimakonis is taking over at Palmetto Christian, while Nick Hopp is the new boss at Garrett Tech.

The Falcons opened the quarter with a 70-yard drive that ate up nearly six minutes of the clock. Senior running back Jamie Cooper did most of the work on the drive, capping it with a 10-yard scoring run.

Palmetto Christian picked up one first down on its only possession of the quarter before punting. Garrett ran out the final four minutes of the quarter, using the running game to pick up four first downs.

First Baptist and Burke each scored on their first offensive possession with long drives. The Hurricanes opened the quarter with a 14-play, 70-yard drive for a touchdown. Sophomore quarterback Cameron Berl completed six-of-seven passes for 47 yards on the drive and eighth-grader Michael Dukes scored on a two-yard run with 7:45 left in the quarter.

Burke answered with a 10-play scoring drive, converting a key 22-yard pass on fourth-down to set up Xavier Holley's eight-yard touchdown run to tie the score at six.

Pinewood Prep officially opened its regular season on Tuesday night with a 46-0 win over First Baptist. The Panthers picked up where they left off, beating North Charleston in a quarter of action.

Defensive back Ryan Huiet intercepted a pass for Pinewood to set up a 38-yard scoring drive. Huiet had three interceptions on Tuesday night.

Vaughan, with his three scores, was named the Roddy White Most Valuable Player for second night.

Northwood Academy and Military Magnet provided the most offensive scrimmage of the second night, hooking up in a two quarter, back-and-forth affair.

Military Magnet jumped out to an 8-0 lead after a safety and a 16-yard run by Michael Richardson.

Northwood got on track offensively, going 70 yards on five plays with Trevor McNeil scoring from five yards out. McNeil also had a 22-yard run on the drive.

Early in the second quarter, a 48-yard pass from Will Lloyd to Douglas Dwight moved the ball to the one and Trey Stuckey scored on a three-yard run two plays later. A two-point conversion gave the Chargers a 14-8 lead with 8:38 remaining in the quarter.

Richardson continued his solid effort on Military Magnet's next possession, scoring on a 64-yard run to give the Eagles a 16-14 lead with 5:54 remaining.

Northwood came right back as Lloyd and Dwight connected again, this time on a 42-yard touchdown pass with 4:06 to play. Lloyd's two-point pass to Dante Jackson gave Northwood a 22-16 lead.

McNeil added a one-yard touchdown run with 1:32 for the final score of the night.