I am tired of reading letters in this paper from anti-gunners who are completely uninformed or just not interested in the facts about guns. Democratic Congressman John Lewis went on national TV and said “hundreds and thousands” of innocent people are killed each year by guns.

In 2013, more than 46,000 people died from illegal drugs and opioids. In the same year almost 33,000 people died from highway accidents with many more maimed for life.

Statistics show that the main causes were alcohol, drugs, talking on the phone, texting and speeding. A total of 33,000 died from gunshot wounds, with 60 percent suicides and much of the other 40 percent drug and gang-related.

The main connection among these three statistics is drugs. Guns aren’t the problem, drugs are. What is our government doing about this? Legalizing them for recreational use.

People write letters about protecting our children from guns, but they have no problem with aborting 54 million babies since Roe v. Wade. With America’s insatiable appetite for mind-altering drugs, it won’t be too many more years before we self-destruct from within.

Robert Koon

Phyllis Street

North Charleston