Citadel cadets were reminded Monday to ‘remain vigilant’ among reports of harassment over the weekend, according to an official at the school. Social media rumors involving reports of harassment and robberies began swirling in the days after online photos showed a group of cadets wearing costumes resembling Ku Klux Klan hoods last week.

The military school’s spokeswoman Kim Keelor-Parker said Monday evening that there has not been any damage to cadets’ belongings or property at the school, but that officials were aware of reports of harassment from the weekend and were looking into them.

Charleston police spokesman Charles Francis also confirmed Monday that there were not any reports over the weekend involving robberies of cadets.

She added that most of the cadets left the school once winter furlough began Wednesday. A few are left to take final exams Tuesday, she said.

Col. Brett Ashworth, vice president of marketing and communications at the school released a statement following media questions about the social media reports involving harassment of cadets.

“We are aware of a few incidents and are reminding our cadets to be vigilant, to remove themselves from any situation that could get out of control, and to remember they are representing The Citadel,” he said.

The school said last week that at least eight cadets were suspended pending an investigation after the online photos surfaced.

Reach Melissa Boughton at 843-937-5594 or at Twitter.com/mboughtonPC.