BURTON, S.C. - Four Beaufort County school students are fine after they were taken to the hospital suffering from the heat illnesses when their school was evacuated.
The Beaufort Gazette reports that students at Robert Smalls International Academy were evacuated for about 90 minutes Thursday when smoke was reported in the building.
Students were taken to shady areas but the temperature was 95 degrees at the time. The four students were treated and released from the hospital later in the day.
Burton Fire District Battalion Chief Debra Lewis says a belt on an air conditioner melted and a light malfunctioned in a classroom. There was no fire.
Information from: The Beaufort Gazette, http://www.beaufortgazette.com
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.