A 19-year-old man already jailed on unrelated charges now faces an accusation that he robbed a Chinese-food deliveryman last month on the Charleston peninsula, police said Thursday.
Ethan Lamont Jenkins of Sanders Avenue in North Charleston faces charges of attempted armed robbery and possession of a firearm during a violent crime.
Jenkins had been at Charleston County's jail since Aug. 20 on charges related to marijuana possession.
The alleged robbery attempt was reported July 31 on Rose Lane, which runs between Spring and Line streets.
The delivery driver was bringing food to a home on that street when a man with a handgun walked up and demanded money, Charleston Police Department spokesman Charles Francis said in a statement. When the driver refused to fork over the cash, the gunman instead tried to swipe the food, Francis said.
But the would-be robber ran away with nothing more in his hands than the gun he came with, according to Francis.
Jenkins was still being held Thursday in lieu of $10,000 bail on the earlier drug charges, but bail had not been set on the new counts.
Reach Andrew Knapp at 937-5414 or twitter.com/offlede.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.