CLEMSON - The Clemson coaches just weren't quite prepared to roll out a couple of raw talents to line up across from Georgia's dynamic receivers.
Senior Martin Jenkins, who has played in 38 games (including seven starts), was listed as the Tigers' starting cornerback opposite redshirt freshman Mackensie Alexander.
Sophomore Cordrea Tankersley, who had just 21 defensive snaps last season but was listed as the starting corner opposite Alexander on the summer depth chart, is now Alexander's backup.
Remember, Jenkins is one of four plaintiffs in an off-field case citing the NCAA for illegally restricting the earning power of football and men's basketball players while making billions off their labor, according to a federal lawsuit filed in March that seeks to paint big-time college athletics as being in blatant violation of antitrust laws. Jenkins will not be permitted by Clemson to answer questions about the lawsuit until after his eligibility expires, which would be following Clemson's final game in 2014.
Jenkins is backed up by freshmen Marcus Edmond and Adrian Baker. Senior Garry Peters is suspended for Saturday's game at Georgia, which kicks off at 5:30 p.m. on ESPN.
Other key notes from Clemson's depth chart release:
- The starting offensive line for Georgia: LT Isaiah Battle, LG Reid Webster (though Eric Mac Lain will play), C Ryan Norton, RG Kalon Davis, RT Joe Gore. That group has a combined 117 games (Davis 36, Webster 29, Norton 25, Battle 15, Gore 12) and 25 starts (Norton 13, Davis 8, Battle 4.) Webster and Gore are in line for their first career starts. David Beasley, who has 19 career starts at guard, is suspended for the Georgia game.
- The backup tackles are . . . Joe Gore and Kalon Davis. Meaning Clemson, at this point, with Shaq Anthony choosing to transfer last week, is comfortable with exactly two tackles in a game right now, Battle and Gore. Expect more guys to try out at tackle in week two against S.C. State.
- Sophomore Korrin Wiggins will be the starter in nickel packages (five defensive backs), but expect T.J. Burrell and Dorian O'Daniel to log time in three-linebacker sets.
- Senior defensive end Tavaris Barnes gets the nod opposite Vic Beasley, as Corey Crawford is suspended for the Georgia game. Kevin Dodd, who redshirted last season with a toe injury, is Barnes' backup.
- Jordan Leggett will start at tight end, which will be just the sophomore's second career start (at Maryland). Sam Cooper is his main backup.
- Junior tight end Stanton Seckinger (Porter-Gaud), who started 10 games last fall, is listed as questionable for Saturday with an ankle injury. He caught the winning touchdown in last year's 38-35 home win over the Bulldogs, and his father and uncle attended Georgia.
- The starting wide receivers are Charone Peake, Adam Humphries and Mike Williams. Peake, who tore his ACL last September and suffered a setback the week before fall camp began, told reporters Monday he's ready to go.
- Senior D.J. Howard will get the first carries Saturday, but running backs C.J. Davidson and Wayne Gallman will also play. Remember, Clemson's leading returning 2013 rusher Zac Brooks (foot) is out for the year, and freshman Tyshon Dye is out indefinitely recovering from an Achilles tendon tear in February.
- Just like last year, the defensive tackle spot next to nose guard Grady Jarrett is muddled. Josh Watson, DeShawn Williams and D.J. Reader are listed as three-way co-starters.
- Tony Steward, as expected, has locked down the starting weak-side linebacker job replacing Spencer Shuey and ahead of Ben Boulware.
- Also as expected, Jayron Kearse and Jadar Johnson are in a dead heat at free safety opposite Robert Smith.
- Starting returners: Adam Humphries (punt), T.J. Green and C.J. Davidson (kick).
Check back later to PostandCourier.com for more updates from offensive coordinator Chad Morris and Tigers players today at the WestZone.
Notice about comments: