College of Charleston president Glenn McConnell announced the formation of an eight-person search committee that will make recommendations for the hiring of the college's next men's head basketball coach.
The College of Charleston fired basketball coach Doug Wojcik on Tuesday after two school investigations discovered alleged verbal and physical abuse of players and staff members by the coach.
College athletic director Joe Hull will head the committee, McConnell said.
The committee, which features former College of Charleston basketball coach John Kresse and current baseball coach Monte Lee, also includes:
Vince Benigni, faculty representative to athletics.
Otto German, assistant athletics director for NCAA compliance.
Kenneth (Gus) Gustafson, former men's basketball player.
Steve Osborne, executive vice president for business affairs.
Tomi Youngblood, president of the Cougar Club board of directors.
"The individuals on this committee all have dedicated themselves tirelessly to the tradition of athletic excellence at the College of Charleston," McConnell said in a statement. "I greatly appreciate their willingness to serve in this important capacity, and I look forward to receiving their recommendations."
McConnell said that newly hired assistant coach Antonio Reynolds Dean will serve as the interim coach.
John Kresse said McConnell called him Tuesday to discuss his interest in helping find a new coach. Kresse was a member of the three-person search committee that hired Wojcik in 2012.
"Of course, I told him I would do it," Kresse said. "I'm honored that President McConnell would think of me in this situation."
Despite the recent negative publicity that has engulfed the program over the last month, Kresse still believes it's an attractive position that will lure quality coaches to apply.
"I still believe that the College of Charleston job is one of the top mid-major NCAA basketball positions in the nation. We have a quality city, a quality university and a facility at TD Arena that any coach would die for."
Anthony Johnson, who played for Kresse from 1992-97, is considered a leading candidate to replace Wojcik.
"I know there will be a tremendous amount of interest in this job nationwide," Kresse said. "We're going to have a lot of very strong candidates that will be interested in the position and I'd certainly put Anthony Johnson among those candidates that we'd consider."
ESPN's Jeff Goodman reported that the administration has discussed the possibility of bringing back former coach Bobby Cremins on an interim basis for the 2014-15 season.
Meanwhile, the College of Charleston basketball players broke weeks of silence regarding the controversy surrounding Wojcik by issuing a joint statement through the school's media relations department Wednesday morning.
According to the media relations department, all rostered players on the men's basketball team signed the statement.
"These past few weeks have been difficult for us, yet in many ways it has brought us closer together as a team," the statement said. "The uncertainty of the outcome of the investigation, as well as seeing our confidential testimonies suddenly exposed for the world to see, has been unsettling to say the least. . We completely and wholeheartedly concur with the findings in the investigation and the actions President McConnell has taken in this matter. . We forgive Coach Wojcik and hope that he and his family can move forward in a positive manner from here."