HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. - Neighbors reporting a foul odor led authorities to find the body of a man in a home in a gated community on Hilton Head Island.
Beaufort County sheriff's deputies said firefighters looking through the home's windows around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday first noticed water pouring through a collapsed celling.
First responders entering the home found the man's body in the garage. Because of the extensive mold and a bad odor, deputies waited for officers with hazardous material suits before removing the body and investigating.
The coroner's office says the man died more than a week ago. An autopsy has been ordered, and the man's name has not been released because his family has not been notified.
Notice about comments: