MARION, S.C. - Authorities say a man has been electrocuted while trying to steal copper from the roof of a building in Marion.
Marion County Coroner Jerry Richardson said the man died at a burn center a day after he was shocked. Richardson is still trying to identify the victim.
Investigators said the man was on a ladder around 1:30 a.m. Monday when it fell against a transformer, causing an explosion and shocking the man so badly his clothes caught fire.
Nearby residents called 911 to report the explosion and the burning man. Firefighters could not immediately help the man until utility officials could confirm power had been turned off.
Police are investigating and think at least two other people might have been helping the man and abandoned him after he was electrocuted.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.