One man was wounded and another was arrested after a shooting at a North Charleston gas station early Saturday, police said.

About 1:30 a.m., officers were dispatched to the Cheapway gas station at Dorchester Road and South Allen Drive for a reported shooting, North Charleston Police Department spokesman Spencer Pryor said.

When police arrived, they found a wounded man on the ground between two vehicles, Pryor said. Officers then located a suspect lying in the driveway of a South Allen Drive residence. They found a pistol in a plastic recycle bin at the side of the house.

Pryor said the victim and suspect appeared to have been in some type of altercation before the suspect shot the victim. The suspect then ran across the parking lot toward South Allen Drive, where he was found.

The wounded man, Randy Grant, 26, of Woodley Court in Charleston, was transported to Medical University Hospital. A hospital spokeswoman said there was no information about his condition.

Bobby Warthaw, 26, was arrested and charged with attempted murder. Warthaw, of Dowling Street in North Charleston, was being held in the Charleston County jail. He also is charged with possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime.

Warthaw, who has a lengthy arrest history, has been on probation for the past month for breaking into a vehicle or tanks where fuel is stored, according to state records.

He's also the man Charleston police say helped them solve the June 2012 slaying of 17-year-old Marley Lion in West Ashley.

With detectives struggling to make arrests in that case and Warthaw looking for a way out of jail, he told them that someone was trying to sell the suspected murder weapon on the streets of the Ardmore neighborhood.

The month after Lion's killing, the police freed Warthaw from jail. He then arranged a meeting and bought the gun from Ryan P. Deleston for $200. The police recorded the purchase on video.

Lab experts later matched the pistol to the one used to shoot Lion.

Warthaw testified about his role in the investigation at Deleston's trial in October. He got $13,200 for acting as a police informant.

Deleston was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison.

Warthaw has faced serious charges in the past, including armed robbery and burglary, but those charges were dropped when victims in the cases refused to testify against him or exonerated him as the perpetrator.